Monday, November 29, 2010

Smoley Hokes!

My goodness, has it ever been some time since I've posted here.
Probably a sign that school (and my social life) are keeping me as busy as ever.
There's been some changes since I last posted, I've shifted my focus from Design to Marketing. At least for the duration of this program. I feel like I've learned as much as I'm going to through the design stream, and figure it would be a good idea to be well-rounded and taking some marketing.

I had taken on the responsibility to spearhead a fund raising campaign for the Fashion Club to help us raise some cash for program costs (perhaps a new buttonhole sewer?! maybe some muslin!?), as well as raise some money for charity. Our original idea was to have an "Anti-Fashion" show, featuring Lethbridge's best garage-punk bands, and have everyone dress up as outrageously as possible. This didn't pan out, so we opted instead for a more mellow, moustache and ugly sweater party.
It was a total hit! A small group of us came together and were able to pull it off, thanks to all the awesome musicians who volunteered their time to help us out.

After the success of this, I'm interested to keep dipping my toes into this promotion gig. As such, perhaps marketing is a good way to go. I'm still wanting to do my collection for Spring/Summer 2011, but I need to do it for me. School is sucking the inspiration out of me, and I'm done trying to be put into a little box of the same old same old. I don't care about your trends, I don't care about your fashions. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it by my own terms, and I've learned everything that I can be taught here, so here's hoping I can at least get a decent collection!

Other than the lack of inspiration, school is going by decently, and I'm looking forward to being done for the semester! My favorite class by far is Surface Design, and I'm hoping to post some interesting techniques and things I have found later on! But in the mean time, I'm running on little sleep and should probably get back to work.

Can't wait till Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. I'm also looking forward to being done for the semester. I don't know how the other gals going full time are keeping it together but kudos to them. I'm happy to have a few moments of breather. I hope you find satisfaction in your new direction with marketing.

    ReplyDelete